During my Meatless Monday Challenge, I introduced this amazing recipe that everyone got really excited about! The beauty of this recipe is that it is super easy to make, it is very tasty and really nutritious. And I couldn’t ignore your requests and rushed to write the blog post with this recipe!
Why did I choose this combination? You may or may not know, but Lentils add essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber to the diet. They also provide protein and are an excellent replacement for meat in meals. Thumbs up, right?
Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, are a rich source of fiber as well as contain an array of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, therefore, they’re a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C. And let’s not forget sweet potatoes are the queens of vitamin A 🙂
Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with BBQ Lentils
Servings:4 – 5
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup green lentils
1 cup pure tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 cup of water (I use ionized water)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp sriracha (Spicy sauce – optional)
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Soak potatoes in Strong alkaline water to clean off all the chemicals, and brush them, pat them dry with a dishtowel.
- Prick each potato a few times with a knife and cover them loosely with foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Soak lentils in highly alkaline water for about 30min in order to clean off all the dirt as well as pesticides etc. Drain them, and rinse.
- In the meantime, heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, maple syrup, mustard, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, pink Himalayan salt, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sriracha (if using), to taste.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, and slice them lengthwise down the center. Expand the sides a little bit and top with about 1/3 cup of the bbq lentils.
- Drizzle with tahini sauce.
- Serve hot with a salad.
Give it a go and enjoy!
Lots of love,