Another book review from reader to reader…
Do you feel busy, overwhelmed and frustrated with your never-ending to-do list? I know the feeling. We are living in a such a busy world that most of us feel we are running in a rat race. And surprisingly when one to-do list is done, the new will magically reappear. So how can we stop this madness?
Well… Since you’ve asked, my answer is this:
Read the book by Gary Keller with Jay Papasan ‘The One Thing’ – surprisingly simple truth behind the extraordinary results
‘The One Thing’ by Gary Keller with Jay Papasan
Level: very easy read in simple terminology
This is the best tool that will show you the way how to remove the stress from your life by having fewer distractions, less stress, panic and more of satisfaction on staying on track and achieving results.
So how can you have more by doing less?
Simple – first and foremost is by focusing on the ONE THING. The main thing I’ve learned from the book is that our to-do list will actually never end, right? It cannot end. When you finish one task, another will follow.
We simply need to be ok that the to-do list is a never-ending project.
Authors give tools, reasons, explanations why and how The One Thing in life should be and could be implemented, and what massive difference it would make.
A very practical book with clear explanations, easy terminology and super inspiring!
A Few Nuggets from the Book
- ‘Extraordinary results are directly determined by how narrow you can make your focus’ (The One Thing). We actually are all over the place especially nowadays when the technologies are at its peak! When the phone pings every few seconds. When emails keep coming through looking for our attention. When you turn on the computer and keep getting even more requests looking for our input or reply. And we all feel like we are continuously fire fighting… So then the important stuff doesn’t get done 😦 Therefore it’s important to focus on what is the most important thing that has to be done ignoring everything else until the ‘one thing’ gets done.
‘Be like a postage stamp – stick to one thing until you get there’ (Josh Billings)
Let’s stop being busy fools…
- ‘The key is over time. Success is built sequentially. It’s one thing at a time’ (The One Thing).
- ‘There can only be one most important thing. Many things may be important, but only one can be the most important’ (Ross Garber). I know I feel that usually, one thing is more important than the other. But is it really? I personally get distracted easily and drop the focus especially from the important stuff that pushes me a little bit out of the comfort zone… Know the feeling? The One Thing becomes challenging and difficult to distinguish often enough just because we’ve bought into too many ‘other things’ which is really only a background noise 😉
- Multitasking and juggling is an illusion and a lie. It divides our attention and we lose the main focus which gets us off a track too quickly.
- ‘You can become successful with less discipline than you think, for one simple reason: success is about doing the right thing, not about doing everything right’ (The One Thing). Well, this is an eye-opener for me, Mrs. Perfectionist…
- So here is the main question according to the authors, we should ask ourselves daily: ‘What’s the ONE THING I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?’ (The One Thing)
Other books by Gary Keller with Jay Papasan
- Summary of The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results.
- The Millionaire Real Estate Agent: It’s Not About The Money… It’s About Being The Best You Can Be!
SHIFT: How Top Real Estate Agents Tackle Tough Times (with Dave Jenks)
The moral of the book and my blog post is – let’s have a big picture of the life we wanna live and have a small focus every day on what’s the One Thing I need to do continue to get where I want… Easy, right?
Lots of love,